Old 09-12-2021, 8:17pm   #17
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,005 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by markids77 View Post
Then he has been fortunate treatment and lifestyle choices have kept things at least somewhat in balance. Hope it remains that way Steve!
Scientifically speaking lifestyle choices don’t seem to have much impact on the disease except drinking and smoking (I’ve never smoked and I have had a drop of alcohol in 29 years).

Food doesn’t have much effect except things that are hard to digest can get stuck which is life threatening. Stress is a factor but not really within my control.

That’s part of the frustration we live with. We have zero control over any of this. My body is on a jihad against itself.

Steve has had some rough times and he is more private about the disease than me.

However his Crohn’s is likely different from mine. It varies greatly in symptoms and severity from person to person and depending on where it strikes in the body.

For some people it’s relative minor and can be treated with pills. “Mild to moderate” they call it. Depending on where it attacks, some can get the disease cut out (technically they still have it but the surgery puts them in permanent remission) and it doesn’t spread in these individuals.

Others, like me are inoperable and have “moderate to severe” Crohn’s. The pills don’t work so we go on heavier, more dangerous, way more expensive drugs. The disease tends to spread to other areas (in my case optic nerves and joints) and worsens.

We advanced guys get hospitalized a lot (I average twice a year for the last decade), get multiple drastic surgeries, infections are constant. I’ve been in the ICU six times in six years. In 2014 I was in five times that year alone.

I have had periods of remission but not for a few years now. It’s hard to describe feeling ill 24/7 for years while hiding it and working constantly. One secret is to stop eating food for a couple weeks at a time. It seems to reduce inflammation.

I was concerned COVID would finally be the thing that kills that business. I’m relieved. After 30 years of hustle, it’s going to take some adjusting. We have had amazing highs and insane lows but we have never had an economic event cause by the government.

The impact of that is starting to be seen as the government EIDL money runs out.

You guys have been a lifeline for me and I have chronicled my struggles here. I do it to vent and in my fleeting hope to be understood, but never for sympathy.

And I only share about half of it. My quality of life is pretty bad right now after a six year decline. But I’m fighting it with everything I’ve got and I’m pretty tough.

My dad said “always remember, quitting is always an option on the table. Don’t make the mistake of not quitting soon enough.”

I now know what he meant. Back in the day, I let my previous company drag on too long. It cost me a lot of money.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote