Jobaka
Barn Stall Owner #79
Activity: 0%

Thanked 2,694 Times in 1,581 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $955

Hard to believe, but nobody died.

Quote:
Dump truck flips, catches fire after three-vehicle crash on 2222

AUSTIN, Texas — A crash involving several vehicles, including a dump truck carrying a load of gravel, left traffic at FM 2222 at Jester Blvd down to one lane in each direction Friday morning.

"I was just sitting there waiting for the light to change and apparently he lost his brakes," Cookie Bandel said.

Bandel's dash camera captured the crash

She said she was paralyzed with fear as she watched the dump truck plow through the intersection hitting several cars.

"I think I was in shock," she said. "It chose to go in the right lane and if it [the driver] hadn't it [the truck] would have rear ended me."

After crashing into cars, the truck went off a cliff into a creek more than 15 feet below.

In the video you can see witnesses getting out of their cars rushing to the scene.

"Some citizens jumped down there and helped extricate him out of there before it caught on fire," Cpl. Chad Martinka, Austin Police Department, said.

Moments before the crash, Bandel's video shows the dump truck pass her car appearing to have mechanical problems.

"He [the truck driver] signaled for me to pass him and he waved and I went on," she said.

The self-employed truck driver says he's doing okay, but has a lot to do now. The man in the sedan that got rear-ended is also home recovering. His wife and a friend say it's a miracle he's alive. They add, he must have an amazing guardian angel watching over him.

As for the men in the red pickup who are nearly hit as well, they didn't drive away. They tell us, they only drove out of the intersection to pull over. The passenger in the pickup truck is a volunteer firefighter and trained EMT. He immediately sprang into action treating the victims until authorities got to the scene.

Police said 6 people were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

No word on what caused the crash.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/fou...-crash-on-2222

Quote:
Austin attorney says dump truck never should have been on the road

A civil lawsuit was just filed in Travis County in a dump truck crash that happened in February on FM 2222.

Dash camera video from another driver shows the dump truck plow through traffic, T-bone a car, hit several others and then head over a cliff.

The lawsuit is seeking at least $1 million and a jury trial for medical bills, pain and suffering of Delaney Nelson. She is a 19-year-old college student who was driving to class when she was t-boned by the dump truck. Her attorney Justin McMinn says the dash camera video is crucial to the case.

"Anybody that watches that video, their first reaction is oh my gosh, how many people died in the accident? Fortunately here nobody did die," said Justin McMinn.

But Nelson did suffer spinal injuries, embedded glass in her face and even ear drums.

"It was very scary and traumatic for her," said McMinn.

Her car is now mangled and her body has a long road of recovery.

McMinn says the lawsuit came swiftly because they didn't want to lose evidence in the case, like inspecting the dump truck.

"The truck never should have been on the road, and that driver should never have been behind the wheel," said McMinn.

The lawsuit lists the driver, Codie Korn's felony record and the twenty safety violations against the truck's owner Franco's trucking in the last 15 months according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

"It's about community safety and if you're going to be in our community and operate a business you've got to do things the right way and if you don't, things like that can happen," said McMinn.

KEYE TV reached out to Franco's Trucking for comment but did not get a response.

An APD crash report found the dump truck's brakes failed but there were other factors in the crash as well.

Follow us on Twitter @keyetv and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/law...mp-truck-crash

Jobaka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jobaka For This Useful Post: