View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 7:16pm   #1
jeff w
Barn Stall Owner #40
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32212
Default Two intermittent electrical problems

2002 Coupe. MN6, F45, HUD, etc. Only mod is a cat-back. 73,000 miles. Newer battery (less than 1 yr old), new ignition switch. NO DTCs through the DIC or Tech 2.

Problem 1: Active Handling will engage when I'm cruising down the highway doing 65-70 mph. I'll feel a slight brake application for about one second and then it's done. It doesn't jerk the car in any direction. This happens ~3 times per week.

Most common fault is the steering position sensor, but from what I've read that usually causes at least one code. Same with the EBTCM. I have a VERY respectable dealer here that said w/o a code to start with, all they could do is put labor hours into it. That doesn't work for me. Ideas?

Problem 2: I took a video to demonstrate this problem. This problem happens maybe once a month. It seems to happen EVERY morning after doing a high speed run of 130+ mph. When I turn the key over to the 'start' position I get a no start condition. The starter doesn't turn, you can't hear the fuel pump, etc. After a COMPLETELY random amount of time/tries, everything just magically works like it's supposed to and the engine fires right up. To rule out the neutral safety switch I tried starting the car w/o depressing the clutch and I can hear the fuel pump but the starter never turns.

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/jwelshjr/?action=view&current=2012-04-22_08-12-31_570.mp4
I saw a diagram of the various ground locations and there are two, one on each side, that look to be around the base of the seat belt mounting point. Are these locations inside or outside the car? The reason I ask is because I also have water leaks that I haven't found and have had water down behind the seat belt trim and the carpet behind the seats.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Want to try here before I hit up CF.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited by jeff w; 05-30-2012 at 8:51pm.
jeff w is offline   Reply With Quote