Old 07-30-2012, 9:24am   #71
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SA View Post
I would hope Phil in the course of his work heard/saw/thought up and idea to help stop violent crime and came here with an open mind to discuss the merits of those ideas. I would also hope that he would read some replies that make sense and not just attack him and see where his ideas don't work or maybe could be changed so they would work. My own personal opinion is that they won't work to stop violent crime since criminals don't obey laws anyway.
What I'm taking away from this thread is that most simply are unwilling to compromise. Many of the left want guns eliminated from society, many on the right want no restrictions on guns whatsoever.

I thought what I presented was a realistic compromise. In fact, I still do. It seems the only retort is that criminals ignore the law so there would be no net decrease in gun violence. I disagree with this position.

What conservatives and gun rights advocates fail to realize is that the public is getting fed up with the status quo. When your guys are in power, nothing is done to address these kinds of problems. Then when my guys get in power and enact legislation, all the sudden your side is full of ideas about how you could do it better without so many rules. Just like what happened with the health care bill.

The writing is on the wall. If your side is unwilling to compromise and doesn't do something to address the problem, don't be surprised when the public has had enough and votes in politicians who will do something about it.
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote