Old 11-24-2013, 5:52pm   #1
RED-85-Z51
The Hooptie Whisperer
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,753 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1975165
Default Here's what Ive been doing....

Also...best touch up paint EVER!!

My cab corners were totally rotted out on my truck, and there was bad surface rust on the bottoms of the rear fenders behind the tires, nothing thinned or through...but.rusty.

I ordered new cab corners and I trimmed them, traced the patches to the cab, and cut the cab rot out, then my dad welded the patch in place and did the filler, then I sanded it all down, spot filled where needed, primed and painted it all. I did the rear fenders and stuff by just sanding it all bare, priming, and repainting, then I feathered it all to blend.

I did it all with rattle cans after the utter failure associated with the paint gun...

I paid, 19.95 per can of matched base coat, then 7.95 a can for clear, and I used Bondo Ultimate filler/hardner, and ATU brand prep solvent/cleaner.

1 can of base color was used to do 3 coats on all surfaces you see, and 3/4 can of clear, also..3 coats of clear.

This has to be the easiest paint repair Ive ever done...this stuff blends perfectly to the original 18 year old paint...no sags, no runs, minimal orange peel and the clear seems ot do away with most of that...

One more cab corner to go, then to touch up the bottoms of the doors, they had bad rock chips and surface rust as a result, p/o put on a sealing cover to keep it from getting worse. Ive got a kit coming tuesday, its a 10pc 304 Stainless steel armor kit that goes from the bottom of the trim molding to the door bottom, all the way around, in a polished chrome quality finish...should cover up any imperfections permanently, and im going tobedliner the inside of all fenders I can get to...
Attached Thumbnails
rust1.JPG  

rust2.JPG  

rust3.JPG  

rust4.JPG  

rust5.JPG  

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RED-85-Z51 For This Useful Post: