View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 10:22am   #1
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 6.1%

Thanked 11,500 Times in 5,024 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547
Default Ramblings from a family beach trip.

As many of you know, I've been at Pawleys Island SC this week. As an extended family, we have been coming here for 40 years. I remember the headlines when John Wayne died in the local newspaper here in June of 1979. That trip was my first beach trip after my father's death in September of '78. Pretty much all of my Mom's side was here, as well as some members of my Aunt Evelyn's, sister's family.

Just like now, family members came and went throughout the week as their schedule allowed. Some were lucky like me, to stay the whole week, others just got part. Either way, it was a grand time at the "Old Grey Barn", a house that despite Hugo's efforts in 1989 to erase, stood. We moved on from the Barn many years ago, but I still can drive by it, or walk in front on the beach just to say "hi". There were a lot of good memories had there, and plus, the house itself is as much a legend on the island as anything.
The "Old Grey Barn"...

Name:  download (2).jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  9.3 KB

Somehow, this trip has taken on a different perspective. Obviously, my Mom has been gone for 3 years, and her brother (my Uncle Frank and his wife Evelyn) still come with their kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. It really hit me hard this morning, realizing that my time with my oldest relatives, is drawing nigh. My Uncle Frank has dementia, and it is coming on at a fairly alarming rate at this point. I have a story, but will leave it for another day. It's not funny, but funny at the same time. It's certainly not like we don't all know the inevitable, but in my heart, I know the dynamics of who will be here next year, are likely to change. Admittedly, I've struggled with it this morning, so thanks for letting me ramble some.

I guess I'll get away from this thing, and enjoy our last day here, and all that it brings. I hope all of you here have a wonderful day with your family and friends.
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to 69camfrk For This Useful Post: