Old 01-24-2023, 7:07pm   #10
Taurus
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.7%

Thanked 5,738 Times in 2,717 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

She works at a bank, and a guy came in with some old dimes. She knows what a "Mercury Dime" looks like, but had never seen one of these. She took it in as a regular dime against the advice of her co-workers, and called me saying she thought she had an "old dime", but that the face was backwards to be a Mercury dime. I'm not a coin expert at all, but I do consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on post Civil War US coinage, but somehow, I blanked on what it might be. I told her just to pay the ten cents, and I would probably know what it was as soon as I saw it.

She brought it home, and as soon as I saw it, I knew it was a Barber Dime.

Not great condition, but melt value should be $1.50 to $1.75 depending on how much it still weighs. I'm not sure where the folks in your link are getting $5 for examples a lot more worn than my new acquisition, I'm guessing those are asking prices. Nobody pays big bucks for coins in worn condition.
Yup, I've got a handful of these, you can get a couple bucks each if the date is legible from a coin dealer or make the extra buck or two selling yourself. A PITA for a buck in my opinion.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post: