10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 92.4%

Thanked 41,259 Times in 17,155 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
The locals are still pretty sore over the whole Alamo thing.
Not true, although I am very sure you were just making a joke. There were Mexicans that fought for Texas' independence along with the white settlers. Texas' story is really an American story.....Mexico offered settlers relative autonomy and land to entice people to come and make something out of the territory, and people came, and were successful, thanks to a mostly hands off approach from the Mexican government. The people were happy to be Mexican citizens, whites and Mexicans alike. It was when the Mexican government got heavy handed and wanted to heavily tax and exercise control over Tejas that the Texan's fight for independence got going in earnest

It's really a great story, one that has left us with 'Remember the Alamo,' the Come and Take It flag, etc., symbols that are relevant even today. People wanted to be free, and were willing to fight for it.

As to San Antonio, I have friends who live there, and I used to visit regularly. It's a party town. It's laid back. Practically every weekend there's a festival going on. Fiesta is a huge, two week affair that many employers give a day off for, similar to New Orleans employers closing on Fat Tuesday. Lots of Hispanics, some families who have been there since before Texas was a US state. For a young person who will enjoy going out, if the Wu flu crisis ever fades, San Antonio is a nice mid sized city. Lots of military bases scattered around town, too. I haven't been there in a few years, but I remember it as a friendly city, I don't remember any racial animus, etc. I'm not sure how today's manufactured outrage and unrest has effected San Antonio.

There's also lots of really great day trips to be had from San Antonio, too, for the adventurer/explorer/history buff type.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post: