Old 03-23-2020, 7:43pm   #14
Nox
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 1,676 Times in 634 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Understood. So at a certain point, no one will be able to go get more food, because they don't have any gas, right? So now we have the entire society sitting in their homes slowly starving to death, and this is "for the good of society"?

This has been my point all along: this shit is totally not thought through. Your post is just another example of what I have been saying.

New Jersey is in the same place. All malls, restaurants, beaches, and parks are presently closed. I'm not sure about golf courses, but even though I do like to golf, I really don't care if they are closed. You can add nail salons, beauty parlors, gyms, movie theatres, concert venues, bars, and retailers that don't sell take-out food etc. to the list as well. Once you get to that point, why stop motorists at all to see where they are going? It's pointless, puts LEOs at risk, and adds NOTHING to the effort. How am I going to infect someone by driving down the road in my car? Why are we trying to "control" that behavior?

I agree that the sooner the pandemic passes, the better. But what I have said all along is that there is a societal cost to all of this, that WILL result in people dying. This is what our so-called "leaders" are completely ignoring. If you push the population to the point where they are all starving in their homes with no power and no heat, how many people will die as a result? How long with this go on before there is an immense reaction of civil disobedience, that is also certain to result in the loss of citizens' lives?

At the end of the day, history has shown time and time again that endlessly ramping up "control" to try to ensure "compliance" by the citizenry as a whole is a loser's game.

But you know what they say: those who fail to learn from the past are destined to repeat it.
So maybe the point you missed, is that 1) the police aren’t stopping anyone for being out— they have no desire to contact Corona any more than you do. Your chances of catching it from them is far greater than them catching it from you though.. They deal with way more people and have to make physical arrests.

2) Grocery stores are open even in the draconian city of Los Angeles, and no one is being stopped from going there.

3) For people who can’t afford to buy food, there are free food distributions points where you can just drive up and grab a sack of groceries.

So all I’m saying is they are closing everything that is truly “non-essential.” Not hospitals, not stores. And buses are free if you don’t have gas to drive.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post: