View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 7:58am   #1
FRC Joe
Vette Barn Regular
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $882
Default Quicktime SFI Bellhousing Install

As part of my driveline freshen up, I added a Quicktime SFI approved bellhousing. The benefit of one of these is only realized in the event of a clutch or flywheel failure, the idea being that the high strength steel bell will keep the shrapnel from cutting your feet off! That may be a little dramatic, but if you google clutch explosion you'll see the destruction that can be caused. It aint pretty.

Here's a shot of the bellhousing being test fit to the end of the torque tube.

This isnt a straightforward install, as the bellhousing flange is circular to start with and must be trimmed to clear header tubes. I also trimmed a fair amount off the bottom as it would be the lowest point of the car by an inch or more otherwise. The flange is thick steel, a plasma cutter is your best bet if you have access to one. The dashed line shows where the flange used to be.

Also in need of attention is the notch for the clutch slave bleeder. The bellhousing will not clear an aftermarket clutch bleeder line (it barely clears the stock screw). The dashed line indicates the additional clearance that was required.