Old 12-01-2022, 3:54pm   #18
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,643 Times in 3,755 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Unless they are solid metal it's not worth refurbishing old door hardware. A friend of mine had an old farmhouse, late 1800's, and the hardware was all painted over. He spent months refurbishing but one door, one window after another. By the time he was done the old cast iron or steel? hardware looked terrific, with just a light coating of linseed oil to protect it.

When I restored my old TBird I refurbished lots of the bolts. That was an easy but sometimes tedious process. Degrease. Sandblast to remove paint. Acid dip to remove rust. The final step was to Parkerize (black phosphate), then finish by soaking in light oil (WD-40).
Great minds think alike. You are the only other guy I know that Parkerizes original fasteners. I've been doing it for years. Waaaay better than paint, powder coating, or buying new, inferior hardware.

When I was at the Adolf Pabst mansion a few years back, I was blown away by the hardware used throughout the place. Every piece was a work of art. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1852 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	72782

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1856 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	933.7 KB
ID:	72783
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post: