Old 03-01-2021, 8:31pm   #4
TripleBlack
Barn Raising I
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 2,060 Times in 876 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $308343

Quote:
Originally Posted by datawiz View Post
Those are really pretty! Clearly the S8 and the S21 are in different leagues. Wife and daughter have the S8. I gave my daughter the S9 which was the first model that truly had incredible photography.

Other than the amount of pixels in any given pictures, the only huge difference I see between yours and mine is in the panoramic picture. The amount of distortion of the buildings has improved radically since your even your DSLR was made.

I'll try and take one soon for a comparison.

The number of pixels, while important, is less important than the size of the sensor and the size of the glass. Cell cameras are getting really, really good, but DSLRs and the new mirrorless lenses produce still produce better quality.

An interesting note about pixels... the first photo above is nearly 4 times larger on disk that the second. I didn't shoot the cell in raw mode which is part of the reason for the difference image quality. JPGs don't edit well at all compared to raw files. Can't remember when I last shot a jpg with my DSLR.

Distortion is just the physics of the lens and the position of the camera/lens when the photo is taken. It really doesn't have much if any to do with pixels. It's all about the lens. Cells with multiple lenses like your Sammy help with that. Most high quality real estate photos where all the walls and surfaces are perfectly straight are taken with tilt shift lenses - sort of a compact version of an old bellows view camera. Distortion is fairly easily handled in post processing - you just have to allow for the resulting cropping.

I grabbed few shots with my DSLR during the sunset in the first shot and will try to process and post a comparison.
TripleBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TripleBlack For This Useful Post: