Old 07-30-2021, 11:19pm   #48
benny42
That One Guy
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2192

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Ideally, they are brazed joints. The connection I need to make is on the low/liquid side. Higher silver content means a harder joint. I have never brazed before, but the recommendation that nitrogen be flowing through the joint as it is brazed, creates another hurdle. I'm starting to get scared off by the job.

I also considered hacking at it and if it doesn't work, I'll call a repair company and tell them the last guy that worked on it left it that way and walked off the job. (No need to know that I was the last guy that worked on it).
As they told us in the Union Pipefitter Apprenticeship school, if it were easy little girls would do it. There are a few reasons why it takes 10,000 on the job hours to be a journeyman. This isn't a union vs non-union argument as there are plenty of good non-union a/c servicemen, but they didn't learn it in a weekend either. Rant over.

Practice brazing with a 15% silver brazing alloy and your oxy-acetylene flame a tiny bit rich. Its not quite as hot and its less likely to oxidize the pipe. Replace the liquid line drier while you have it open or you WILL regret it.
benny42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to benny42 For This Useful Post: