View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 3:14pm   #1
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15
Fantasy Football Champ '11,'13,'17
Activity: 0%

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis.
Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,241 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1050381
bilmem PC Building Question: Reuse 4-year-old high quality PSU

Any of you computer nerds see a problem with me being cheap and re-using my 4 year old power supply for a "new" build? It's an EVGA 850 Watt Platinum rated PSU. Seems like a shame not to reuse it, especially since I'd probably only want another 4-5 years out of it before I upgrade CPU/Mobo again.

Only other parts I'd be re-using are my case and my GPU (GTX 1080) since you can't find a new card at MSRP right now, and I don't need one right away anyway.

Still rocking an i5-4570, Asus B85M Motherboard, and 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM. Held up surprisingly well through 3 different GPUs, which is why it's taken so long for me to replace it. Even over the last few years with the GTX 1080 card and a 1440p G-Sync monitor I was able to get high framerates with mostly high or ultra settings. Guess I don't usually play the most CPU-intensive titles. But I have noticed it showing its age finally this year, plus I'm tired of having a PS3 take up space in the bonus room just for NCAA Football 14, and I can't emulate it on RPCS3 with this tired CPU.

New 5800x would have been nice and I had a MOBO picked out and was excited to try an AMD build, BUT availability is an issue and out of the blue I got a great deal on an i9-10850k so staying Intel for another build. Never had any problems with my ASUS stuff, but I'm going with an MSI Mobo this time because it has better reviews and a lower price than the closest Asus Mobo with everything I want.

Anyway, back to the question - yea or nay on reusing my 4 year old PSU? I checked the box and it has an additional CPU cable to be able to power these newer boards with 8+4 pin CPU connections.

And while I'm asking questions, any issues staying with an air cooler for these 10th gen Intel chips? Case is massive, open, gets plenty of airflow and I do push/pull with fans on both sides of the cooler:

Will is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will For This Useful Post: