Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 27.0%

Thanked 33,861 Times in 12,340 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Throughout my working life I'd say 98% of my coworkers have always jumped at a chance for overtime. Personally I don't care for it although I have no problem working late to finish something important. Unfortunately some places consider everything important, expect constant overtime, and look down on you if you don't want to put in a 60hr week.

What's more important to you, extra $$ or time to spend it?

I hate overtime; and haven't worked any in 20+ years (other than staying an extra 5-10 minutes due to a phone call or late arrival of a customer). At my current employer, I'm forbid from working overtime; they don't want to pay me 1.5x/hr; and I'm happy it's that way. When I accepted the position, I made it clear that I didn't want to work any overtime.

Most of it is due to my lack of energy. At the 9 hour mark (which includes a hour lunch break during the day)... I flat out run-out of energy. If I work 1 or 2 hours of overtime... I'm a zombie for the next few days; kinda like jet-lag.

I have always lived within my means; based on my 40hr/week income. And that "living within my means" encludes hobby types of expenses as well. So, overtime money is not life/death.
I do some extra work at home - that's not related to my employer; that extra money is nice. But, I can do this on my schedule.... sitting in an easy chair - in underwear - if I want !!!

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 01-24-2013 at 11:20am.
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote