Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 33,024 Times in 14,164 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122
Default A professional license to install a grab bar?

a few weeks ago, we visited my parents, and as part of my chores, i bought 5 sets of ADA grab bars and matching wall anchors, to install in various places in their house for Mom's benefit.

turns out, Mom has a long term care policy that will cover such things. cool. here are the receipts dad. oh wait, they'll pay for labor too. cool. 5 sets of bars, 30 minutes each, 2.5 hours at $40/hour = $100 for me. woot.

oh wait.....since we are dealing with an insurance company, they have forms and document requirements.....lovely.

fill out their forms, supply info they want (copy of my DL, my SS number), dad packs it all up and sends it in to get reimbursed.

and then today, they call dad, and want to know if I have a professional license?

like a handy man license? no..... any half competent person can follow written instructions that come with the grab bars and install them properly. only thing i have is an inactive Professional Engineering license (actually 2, one from MD, another from FL).

so now dad is checking to see what they require and what they will accept.

if i have to, i'll take a picture of my wall certificate and send that to them with a short note explaining how ridiculous this is so I can get $100.

would you care to buy a wooden bowl I made? i'll brand it, but it doesn't come with a fancy certificate.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post: