Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0%

Thanked 10,607 Times in 6,383 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Exactly.

Barry Manilow just "came out" as being gay. It was a shock to almost no one. You have to ask yourself: Is it really necessary to issue a press release or conduct an interview to inform the public of your sexual preference? You could have just gone on with your life as it was. You've been with your partner 36 years. Another 36 would have made no difference. And there will certainly be those who cite Manilow's "bravery". Supposedly, he remained quiet because he "didn't want to disappoint his fans." What a crock. I'm sure that not wanting to torpedo a multi-platinum singing career by waiting until a more favorable social climate existed was a more logical reason. Brave my ass.

It's this kind of grandstanding that people dislike. And it has nothing to do with what sex the person you sleep with is.
I think you miss the point of "coming out".
Barry Manilow, IMHO, didn't come out for applause.
I believe that he came out to finally admit to everyone that he was gay, and to help other gays know that it is acceptable to do the same.
And, he's old. That opens up a whole new population of tail that would not normally approach him .
I can see what you said in the bolded though.
Smart business.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote