View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 1:39pm   #1
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 58.3%

Thanked 18,577 Times in 8,210 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760
Default Another Marketing Move by Apple?

So Wifie has an 64GB iPhone 8 (for now - when that shit breaks it's getting replaced with a De-Googled Android). This morning it started telling her that her internal storage was full, so she wanted to tranfer 5 years' worth of photos off of the phone to her Windows 10 machine. Should be easy, right?

With an Android phone you simply plug the phone in to a USB port and you can drag-and-drop your files all day long. When you plug in this iPhone nothing shows up until you run the iTunes app - then the phone shows up as a device in the File Explorer.

On the phone the photos are stored in a folder called DCIM which in turn has a bunch of subfolders named according to the date the photos were taken. However, when I try to drag the DCIM folder off the phone onto the PC the transfer chugs away for a while and then mysteriously dies part way through. No error message, just disappears.

If I go into the DCIM folder I can drag-and-drop each of the subfolders individually and the transfer succeeds, but that's a tedious pain in the ass.

But I bet if I sign up for iCloud all 3700 of those files will upload seamlessly to Apple's servers. I wonder how many people just give up on this shit and sign up for iCloud just to transfer their pictures off their ****ing phones?
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote