Old 05-10-2022, 11:57am   #1
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,626 Times in 13,611 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478
Default A meaningless story to pass the time.

I had a motor mount go bad on my truck. I watched a few videos and figured I'd tackle it myself. Well, I slid under the truck and changed my mind real fast. Being 4WD, there was way too much big bulky shit in the way and I decided this would get farmed out. I don't have a second car so anything I do, or get done, has to be all in one day. A coworker knows the owner of an aftermarket accessories shop. The guy quoted a decent price and my first question was "Have you done this before?". He assured me he has. Said it's a big job, but not outside their wheelhouse.

Fast forward, they call and tell me the truck is done. I go pick it up and immediately I have a check engine light. No panic since I knew the battery was disconnected etc. I cleared the fault but it came back. Turns out they broke the knock sensor off the block. I took it back and learned that the guy that worked on my truck was so pissed off about what a huge job it was, that he quit. They rep[laced the sensor no charge of course. In hindsight, I think he quit before he was done with my truck...

I would back out of my driveway and hear a "clunk" in the front end as I steered from left to right. The truck is pushing 130k so I know things will start happening. Probably needs some suspension work.

I FINALLY decided to take it to my regular shop. He tells me that the rack was left loose when parts of the suspension were removed to get to the motor mount. The pissed off mechanic never tightened the rack. They also left off or lost a sway bar bushing. He got it all listed out and I had two tie rod ends put on, sway bar bushings, and an alignment. He called to tell me the truck was on the alignment rack and getting finished up. It should be done by the time I get there to pick it up.

I pulled in and it was still on the rack. I went in to the office and was informed that they found more loose bolts and were still checking it all out.

Now I have it back and it steers tight and right. Moral of the story, if you find a decent mechanic, treat them right and know it isn't always about price or convenience. Going to the Off Road shop because it was close to my office, could have caused a catastrophic accident. I just got lucky that I took it to my guy before it all came apart.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post: