View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 5:33pm   #1
Harms Way
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 2.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $520
Default Birdcage R&R on a 72 Coupe ?.....

Hi guys,....

I hate to just jump in with both feet,.. But here we go. In the middle of fixing up a 68 Convertible for my wife, I accidentally ran across the 1972 Coupe I owned back when my wife and I were dating, married, and for the first couple years we were married enjoyed it,.. In fact I asked her to marry me in that car. I sold it in 1986,.. Because with our family growing... it just seen a lot of garage time. So reluctantly I sold it

However! .... It is the worst possible case scenario,... Bad frame, crunchy birdcage,... Pretty much a "parts car" .... I have told myself many times,... "Just part it out..... It's beyond repair"..... But I just can't bring myself to do it... Any other car wouldn't be a problem,.. But with having history with this one. I hate to see it's ultimate demise.

I have built several Street Rods/Hot Rods over the years, and I would say my fabrication skills are above average (Not trying to brag,.. Just so you know I'm not a novis) ...

I have located a suitable frame (The original is way too far gone to save). Doing a frame off doesn’t concern me,.... BUT !... Replacing / Repairing an entire birdcage... ? That is uncharted territory for me !.... Are there any good recourse in print or on the Internet to give me information? I have built complete inner structures for fiberglass street rod bodies in the past, but I know this is totally different...

Any information would be appreciated. I really hate to see this old friend meet its Waterloo.

Thanks guys

And thanks for having me here !
Attached Images

Harms Way is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harms Way For This Useful Post: