View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 1:39pm   #15
88Z51
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2725

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Rong again, there was only ONE block casting size for the Pontiac/Olds no matter what size the displacement was.....the head bolt pattern was the same, for all those engines....but not head/induction/appearance items.... this was true from 326 to 455 in the Poncho lineup.....in fact the only way to tell the CI was to look for raised cast numbers on the block....or the year/ci code like my last Goat had a B body '70 455 in it....YH code....

I think the Buick engine, especially their version of the 455 was a considerably lighter casting, which is why the Wildcats of the era were a surprise in performance compared to others.....but I know the head bolt pattern was different and so would be the block casting...
Gotta tell ya, you're rong regarding Olds V8s. There are two distinct block sizes. Small block (260, 307, 330, 350 and 403) and big blocks (400, 425 and 455). While most external components are interchangeable between the small and big blocks (oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, distributors, valve covers, etc.), the big block is approx. 2 inches wider and an inch or so taller. Granted, both may look the same to the untrained eye, but there are two different variations of the 64 - up Olds V8.
88Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 88Z51 For This Useful Post: