View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 11:07am   #14
thecornerman
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 1.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 commemorative View Post
After Super Storm Sandy came through and under our home doing over $250,000.00 worth of damage I was forced to move the water heater and hot air furnace up into the attic (Insurance) so anyway it is 7 years old and has been making crackling and thumping sounds from inside the tank when you are using hot water and either turn on the cold water or flush the toilet (makes no sense to me) Wife looked it up on google and said we probably needed to flush the tank and then a local and very good Plumber confirmed it so....I shut heater off let it cool down awhile,opened two hot water faucets to get air flow into tank and drained it totally into the bathtub....then ran the cold water feed into it a few times and drained it again.

While doing all this I was surprised how little debris came out....I guess being on the barrier island the water is very soft. Anyway I refilled tank,turned on the burner and reheated the water.

Still making the sounds...plumber says he does not believe it is a dangerous thing and we did everything correct. His advice was either live with noise or he can install a new water heater,then it will all be on him.

So what do the fine folks here that know plumbing think ?
The sediment sits on the bottom in a goey jelotness mass.
Drain the tank as you previously did, remove the inlet pipe at the top of the water heater and pour in 2 gallons of white vinegar then let it sit over night. The next day with all the faucets closed and the drain on the heater open turn the water back on, shit should come out the drain.
While the water is off find the lowest point in the delivery system and have that open, then open every faucet in the house. This will allow all the anti water hammer cushions to drain
thecornerman is offline   Reply With Quote