Old 02-05-2023, 8:47am   #141
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117
Activity: 78.4%

Thanked 10,792 Times in 3,962 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
This is fascinating. I agree with those saying there is nothing a balloon can really do as far as spying. So what is the point? I suspect it was not shot down over the US on the possibility it contained anthrax or some shit. Seems that's the only real threat it could possibly pose. So the Chinese motivation is mysterious, which makes this episode fascinating. Maybe it's true purpose was the record US air defense reaction times, radar wavelength, etc.

It was interesting to me that the report is it was shot down by an AIM-9X from an F-22. I wouldn't have used an F-22 on the chance it was recording F-22 radar signature at various ranges, wavelengths, and angles. I would have used an F-15 or F-16. AIM-9X is interesting as well. The only heat signature would be the ballon surface heated by the sun. A huge, but not a very hot target. Seems like it would be a far easier target for an AMRAAM, but the AIM-9X obviously did the job. I just hope all the debris is recovered instead of sunk and lost.

Supposed to only be in 70 feet of water, but I have to wonder just how well Navy divers can dive wearing leather dog masks.
Tikiman is online now   Reply With Quote