View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 10:38am   #23
TripleBlack
Barn Raising I
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 2,060 Times in 876 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $308343

Even the very small town I grew up in had a commercial slotcar track in the 60s. I was smitten with them then and have dabbled with them off and on ever since.

In the 90s there were several tracks in my area where I raced quite a bit but enjoyed building the cars more than the racing. I scratch built the chassis for all my cars except those in classes that required a specific commercial chassis.

In the late 90s I built my own 12'x5' 3 lane track out of MDF. I routed the slots and used copper tape for the conductors. It looked crude but I didn't have room for a permanent set up so I designed it so it could be easily stored on its side in the garage. The track ran well with the 1/32 cars it was built for but was too small for the much faster 1/24 scale cars built for commercial tracks.

If I ever have a shop that's big enough, I'll build another. Some kids never grow up.
Here are a couple scanned photos of the old track. Had to tear it down when we moved as I had no place for it in the new place.

The cars in the photos aren't scratch built... There are several companies that make really nice, detailed cars for home tracks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SlotCar10004.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	48466

Click image for larger version

Name:	SlotCar20005.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	48467
TripleBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TripleBlack For This Useful Post: