Old 09-22-2020, 11:24am   #1
The_Dude
Barn Stall Owner #113
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 16.9%

Thanked 16,884 Times in 6,874 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $306898
Default Was I a dick?

I'm not sure if this guy was being snarky or not.
He wrote my wife asking if we had any classic Mustangs for sale. We don't currently, but I have a '70 Boss that I'm not doing anything with. It has presentable paint and interior, but is missing all of its original Boss parts. It currently has a pumped up 351 Cleveland and a top loader. We offered to him for $40k. He asked a bunch of questions and then finally came back with this:
Quote:
Dennis,

I’ve been going through the numbers on the Boss and I wanted to bring it up to you.

You’re asking $40,000 and I’ve been looking at current values of Boss stuff.

I’ve come up with between $20,000 and $30,000 in parts cost, depending if I do full concourse (smog etc) or not. The motor fully done could be almost $15,000 with carb, distributor, fuel pump etc.

Given those costs, I don’t feel I’m in a position to offer $40,000.

$40,000 +
$30,000 =
$70,000

I realize $30,000 is a high number. But $70,000 invested in a non numbers matching Boss, does make good financial sense. Plus, I have to ship (open) it to Maryland for at least $2,000.

I realize that I haven’t even looked at the rest of the car. But, I’m going on your word that it is mint. It looks real nice.

With all that said, if you have wiggle room, but I’ll leave that up to you.

I’m not trying to be difficult, just want be upfront.

Thanks
Kevin
So, I responded with:
Quote:
Hi Kevin,
Well technically, the car wasn't for sale. Kim just asked me what it would take for me to sell the car. I understand if you're not interested at that price.
Thanks,
Dennis
and he came back with:
Quote:
Dennis,

Sorry, I thought you were selling the car. Yeah, you’re right 40k is too high for me.

Thanks showing me, your beautiful car.
Kevin
I left it at that.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The_Dude For This Useful Post: