View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 9:43am   #99
Unsuspicious
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,000 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Christians are opposed to many things non-religious decent people oppose as well. But since "because a book written by some people who said god told them so" is not a sound basis for forming the laws of a society, the issue comes down to creating laws that can be logically justified to uphold some level of philosophical rigor in analysis.
There isn't a single christian that believes every part of the bible should be law- it would be impossible because it contradicts itself. So you end up cherry picking the easy stuff, in which case you've lost the authoritative appeal. Why ignore the silly stuff like saying women shouldn't braid their hair if these were decrees from god.
When a religious person yells abortion is bad a million times and their argument is simply 'because my religion told me it's bad', they have shifted the focus away from the actual issue of abortion and into an issue of is that religion correct. In philosophy, these religious claims try to appeal to some sort of natural law which fails any test of rigorousness. Finding a secular, logical reason why something is bad is the challenge that religious people are just too lazy to bother with. The best they do is claim some sort of monopoly on decent attitudes as if they originated the idea that murdering people is bad. Everyone should be afraid of the people who simply don't kill because a book told them to. I'd rather a society where people don't kill each other out of an understanding of empathy and social contract morality.
Unsuspicious is offline   Reply With Quote