Old 03-22-2024, 7:17am   #36
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 45.7%

Thanked 7,224 Times in 3,200 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
What is the process in California where the guy has done these evictions? It's also a civil matter according to the police who have been there a few times when he's done stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-xysAWa0U

Thoughts?
I didn't watch the whole video, but I probably will later. The reality (in NJ anyway) is that tenancy IS a civil matter, and has it's own court, with that court's orders enforced by the County Sherriff.

What this means for example, is that if I go away on vacation, and come back to find someone has broken into my home, repaired the damage they caused getting in, changed the locks on the doors, and moved in, it will not be a good situation for me. If I try to physically force them to leave, I can be charged with assault, battery, etc. If I call the local PD, the new squatters just have to say they made a verbal agreement of tenancy with "the owner", show the cops they have keys to the house and I do not, and there is not a damn thing the local PD can do about it. I can call the Sherriff's office, but they won't do anything without an order from the tenancy court.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote