10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,237 Times in 17,149 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Tell me you don't know how EVs OR evacuations work without telling me.

In an evacuation traffic moves at about 10mph so that 400 miles is irrelevant. When Houston evacuated, my in-laws sat in ONE SPOT for about 4 hours. No way off the highway. Trapped. Cars were all over the sides of the road that had run out of GAS. God forbid it rains and they have the wipers on eating battery power.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Range gets fkd when you are not MOVING. Lights on, wipers on, AC on, radio on...
Also true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
You don't even need to go into that level of detail, Canucks just don't understand how long "America's wang" really is. My ICE Corvette has a highway range of about 250 miles even if nobody gets in my way, and has no ability to drive across water. If I am in Miami, and wish to leave the state of Florida without refueling, I am just plain shit out of luck, by about a hundred miles.

My comments and your comments together add up to a very real reality of mass evacuations from Florida. If the gas stations run empty along the major highways, those leaving late from South Florida are going to be rightfully ****ed.
Also true, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Generally gas stations are closed during a mass evacuation due to running out of gas and or a power failure.

So in an evacuation scenario, gas or EV…..it doesn’t matter, you’re hooped either way…..no?
The ICE advantage is, people can carry a few extra Jerry cans with extra fuel. When we went to check on a relatives house after Katrina, there was no gas past Baton Rouge, so we stopped, filled up the truck, and filled up 4 cans.....instant extra 24 gallons of range. We ended up not needing it and left it with a friend of the family who needed it for the generator and to get around. Cant really do that with electric vehicles.
bill_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote