View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 10:42am   #17
C4fan
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,418 Times in 706 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $882805

I don't smoke mine the traditional way I guess but here's mine. I use a full brisket and trim most of the fat (save the fat). Then I cut it into 3 chunks and use Claudes brisket sauce to marinate over night. Each piece will fit in a gallon size baggy with about 3/4 cup of Claudes. Then grab a beer, your favorite kind, and drink it. Follow with additional beers as necessary. The next day I get my smoker ready using charcoal and chunks of Mesquite. Low heat and good smoke, I use a side box smoker/grill. Place the brisket pieces on the farthest end from the fire and let them smoke for about 45 min to 1 hour. Keep smoker temp under 175. While this is doing it's thing I cut up a couple of onions (sliced) and a can of whole pickled jalapenos (quartered longways). After the short smoking time pull the brisket off and bring back to the kitchen. I gather the saved fat, onions, jalapenos, Claudes and spice mix (Garlic powder, Onion powder, Celery powder and pepper). Take HD tin foil and splice 2 sheets together by folding the edges together in sever small folds, this makes a large piece of foil. Place a few pieces of fat, a hand full of onion and jalapenos on the foil. Place a chunk of brisket on the veggies and heavily coat with the spice mix. Put another handful of onions and jalapenos on top and more fat. Then pour in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Claudes. Fold the foil over and seal as tight as possible and wrap again with another layer of foil. Then I place back on the fire, this time on the hot end directly over where the heat comes into the pit. You should have 3 of these and I rotate them every 1/2 hr flipping them and rotating them so that each takes turn right at the hot end (my pit is small enough that all 3 won't fit next to the fire box). I cook them for about 4 hrs this way. If you want a real treat save the juices when you open the foil and make a gravy using corn starch. It's a little spicy but has a great flavor. I also save the jalapenos and onions but again they are spicy hot but go great on a tortilla with brisket. I cut mine cross grain.
C4fan is offline   Reply With Quote