View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 7:24pm   #3
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471

Try as they may, the media, pundits, and critics have doggedly tried to minimize Ronald Reagan. They have been determined to mar his legacy and to portray him as a hapless, unscholarly, dimwit with charm. They miss the point: Reagan was elected at a time when National morale was at its nadir, inflation and interest rates were out of control, little tyrants kidnapped Americans and held them in Iran with impunity.

A friend of mine once asked me what was my "best" vote for President. I replied, "Ronald Reagan" without hesitation. He was a leader; he gave America what it sorely needed at the time--someone who believed in people, who caused them to realize that they had the power and the ability to be great, and who placed America on a pedestal that it rightly deserved.

No, he wasn't an intellectual or perhaps even a deep thinker. But, he was exactly what this Country needed. And what he did and believed in worked; the economy improved, the U.S. became powerful again (the Iran hostages were released immediately upon his election), people were proud again. He single-handledly brought down communist Russia without firing a single shot.

People seem to think that Obama is trying to act more like Clinton. No, it's Reagan. It's a disingenuous disguise, but it's working. Reagan considered it a victory if you got 80% of what you wanted. Reagan understood and believed in compromise as the only way to get anything done. (That, and a generous supply of Jelly-Bellys.) I loved Ronald Reagan, and I do consider him one of our greatest Presidents.

Last edited by lspencer534; 02-09-2011 at 8:10pm.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lspencer534 For This Useful Post: