Barn Stall Owner #102
Activity: 21.2%

Thanked 14,309 Times in 4,383 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin68 View Post
I understand the whole "one thing leads to another thing."

Cliffs: Stop assembling, get organized.

Without knowing where progress stopped, it's hard to advise. I'd start with the easy stuff that isn't really dependent on coordination between systems. For instance, the doors. Or the wiper tray (assuming you're committed to keeping the windshield in). Suspension.

What I'm going to suggest next is not satisfying work at all, but I promise it will help you get your head wrapped around what you need to do and in what order. I believe the pages in the AIM are in the order in which the car was assembled at the factory. Using your loose parts, the car, and the AIM, make a parts list. Figure out what you have and what you are missing. Bag, label, and box everything by section. Order parts you know you are going to need in the next few weeks. I tend to order ahead in case I get stuck on something I can move forward with something else.

You've got some decisions to make on what you are going to do with ignition. You have to sort that out before you can finish the interior. Personally I would go with electronic ignition. An electronic ignition will be more maintenance free. If you can't find an electronic ignition with a gear drive, then you will need a electric tach and wire it up, which isn't difficult. Easy button - and preserving value of the car - is to stick with points if you have a dwell meter and know how to use it.

For the fuel, you can decide later. As already stated, the q-jet requires more expertise but you know it'll work/fit and probably perform better. I'm not sure what, if any, intake adapter you might need for an Edelbrock and how that might affect the height of the breather. I have Edelbrocks in both my old cars and like them, but the '68 doesn't have the original engine and the F-350 has no clearance issues. Every time you stray from original, you have to check fitment/compatibility of everything. My '68 is so modified it just is part of the process at this point. While an EFI would be great for performance/ease of use, your have to drop the fuel tank and install an electric fuel pump and wiring, pull and cover the mechanical fuel pump hole, reroute fuel line, sensors for the EFI, and on and on. If you're not willing to pull the windshield, you aren't going to want to mess with EFI. Save that for another year.
Great input! Thank you!

Once the rain let up we plan to go through everything and try to get a very clear list of what is missing.

We have organized a lot into categories, but not done as you have suggested and inventory every part/fasters etc.

Appreciate the input in regard to the carb/tach. Hoping someone here has Quadra jet knowledge.
C3C7NIC is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C3C7NIC For This Useful Post: