Old 02-27-2020, 12:52pm   #11
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 41.7%

Thanked 7,058 Times in 3,119 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
In the realm of legal remedy, there are only two entities at play here...The author, and the publisher.

An author creates content and submits it to the publisher. By virtue of operating this board, I certainly am a publisher. If I create and submit content, than I would also be the author.
You posted this thread...You are the author. This thread exists on my board, my hardware, my domain..That makes me the publisher.

As a publisher, you claim I'm immune of responsibility for author-submitted content, which thankfully is (mostly) correct. However, here you are supporting the fact another publisher is being sued for content submitted by an author.

So in your opinion why is legal remedy of libel being sought of the publisher rather than the author in this example? This is what I'm not understanding.
If Trump had a legitimate claim of libel (and as a public figure, I don't believe he does)...Why is the suit not directed at Max Frankel, the author of the libelous content?

If it is an opinion piece, there is no case for libel.

Factual pieces are normally reported by employees of the newspaper itself, so the newspaper owns the content, not the author. As a result, it falls on the publisher to confirm the veracity of their content before publishing.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post: