Old 11-18-2020, 4:59pm   #13
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,005 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Investment opportunities in amps is shit. Especially at your age. That is unless you're gonna live another 75 years.

I've got a Fender Acoustasonic. Great little amp with on-board effects and a mic input. But it's investment potential is non-existent.
Indeed. I see equipment with a different lens. I'm not a collector. If I'm just playing at home, I'll use my 95 Blues Junior - all tube. Sounds pretty good.

I choose gear that makes me money like a tool. I like the right tools for the job.

I'm using it here at a rehearsal

But my commercial rig for gigs and recordings is the 64 Deluxe or a 59-63 Deluxe Reverb.

My buddy plays with Bonnie Raait and he has a 56 Bassman. It is ****ing hammered but sounds incredible. He also has a late 50's Ampeg that sounds like Albert Collins.

Pre-CBS Fender amps are The Shit in the industry for good reason. They sound better, are more responsive and built like tanks.

Fender changed the circuitry starting in 65, using cheaper components. The earlier amps use point to point wiring instead of circuit boards. The inconsistency of hand assembly makes each one slightly unique.

The Beatles had about 2 dozen 64 Deluxes (non reverb). They are the main amp on all of their 60's recordings. Coming in at 22 watts, they provide a beautifully articulate brown sound.

I was lucky to find one that was 100% original. It had never been disassembled and had the original tubes (they are also built like tanks). The only mod I've done is remove one of the tubes and install a grounded plug (this change is acceptable in collector circles and does not impact the value) This sends more voltage to the tremelo and somehow make the amp sound tighter.

Oddly, I paid $1600 for my Mesa Boogie Mark IV in 1996. I sold it in 2018 to buy the Deluxe for $1,500. Although that is a pretty high end amp and was made when they still hand assembled. It had point to point wiring too.

And it weighed 70 lbs. Screw that. (it sounded like having sex with angels.)

If you want a great sounding amp - consider the Fender reissue Deluxe Reverb - all the clubs and festivals have them for backline. EVERYBODY uses them because they are too lazy to haul their own amps.

Not me. My amp only weights about 23 pounds.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post: