Old 10-26-2020, 8:02am   #20
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

DAMN, you bunch of old farts, I join the club.....born in '44....age 76 here....played with Lionel O ga on two 4x8' tables my father built in the basement.....GG1 loco, 2332, Pennsylvania RR on the side....green with gold stripes......gave it to my nephew when I was about 20 or so.....he played with it and I happened to go by my sisters house and there the loco was, in the trashcan I fished it and two pieces of track out, and set it on the shelf in my apt......so a few months later I was reading the Sunday paper/classified and spotted an adv for Lionel trains....called the guy up, went over to his house and about shit bricks when seeing his collection....that long about '76 or so.....

So bought much stuff from him, and built a single 4x8 table, and layed track all over the apt. floor in the living room.....

then the kids mom and I bought a townhouse.....basement....4---4x8 sheets of ply nothing on the floors....after kids were say 2&4.....I took the garage in a regular single family home and turned it into a train room, about 6 sheets worth...and so they 'helped' build that layout.....after the divorce, I moved to another house across the freeway, and it had a THREE CAR GARAGE built by p/o in the back yard....all concrete driveway too....wonderful party place....
so we went to take one of the bays and build a circuit layout 3 layers tall, and operate 5 trains at once......with a SCALE GG1 loco and SCALE passenger cars as the high speed loop two ZW transformers, and one RW.......the kids were old enough to actually help me build it, lay track, paint walls, paint table....etc.....When planning the move south, I sold it all off except my OEM Loco which my son has out in Ca. now....some 7 grand worth of gear.....maybe a year later the market for Lionel trains went WAY south, and today it's cheap as hell, I understand.....except for maybe the 5344.....

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post: