Norm
Barn Stall Owner #1776
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 29.2%

Thanked 15,024 Times in 4,314 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2002001941
Default Just A Tragic Situation

This past Friday late night in Boone, NC, two pedestrians were walking in the crosswalk when they were struck and killed by a drunk driving 21 year old female.

This was my wife's niece and her husband, both in their early 50's. They were on a motorcycle trip enjoying the back roads of NC. We believe they were walking back from dinner to the hotel.

Besides the tragedy of both perishing, it was later found out neither had a will, and......they have no children. My B-in-L, an estate attorney, is handling the affairs for the family, but what a mess. There's two sets of parents still living and several siblings.

The niece's parents in MD, both in their 80's, now have to go down and identify the bodies so they can be released for cremation. The deceased just had a large home built, has several cars and trucks, and a few M/C's as well.

I think the main point I'm trying to make here is have a will. I had a will when I was in my 30's. I think it is just common sense to make one out if you have any tangible property or funds.

Most folks have beneficiaries on savings accounts but a must is to have a POD (Payable Upon Death) on your checking account in someone's name. This will give one quick access to any funds without administrative papers to present, just need a legal copy of the death certificate.

Sorry I'm preaching here tonight, I just had to shake my head when I heard there was no will.

Thanks for hearing me out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Norm For This Useful Post: