Old 05-14-2021, 6:14pm   #15
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,005 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73sbVert View Post
What is it about most guitarists, afraid to use ALL their fingers??
Four-finger leads seem more efficient to play than 3-finger...

Props to the group though, very well put together! And the singer was great, that's not an easy song to sing!
It's not fear.

The vast majority of guitarists are self taught. I am self taught. (When I was learning tablature was new and there was no Internet. We dropped needles on albums and learned the songs)

You are right - the correct way to span four notes is to use the pinky. I use mine all the time but I will also stretch my third finger to hit the note.

Here's why. The pinky is weak.

It can hit notes and adds some efficiency on fast runs but when you want to nail a note like the fist of an angry god, the third finger is stronger.

Derek is also bending heavily (two steps) with heavy strings (that is a 1957 Strat btw running through a 1960 Deluxe Reverb). The third finger, supported by the middle finger allows enough leverage to not just bend, but bend powerfully.

Also the blues scale has a lot of notes that are two frets apart.

If you want inefficient - watch Jimmie. He uses two fingers, lifts his hand way up for every note - it's crazy. But it contributes to his sound. I'll find a video.

He also knows the fretboard like an animal. And hates what is going on in the country. He was unusually friendly at Antone's last month. Maybe I finally won him over.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post: