Thread: Built on Graves
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 10:19am   #8
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 35.6%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,866 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Years back (1972) my father (undertaker) got a call from the city to be the clerk of the works representing the city on a street construction project . Seems when they dug they upset a bunch of graves. With further checking they found out in the mid 1800s this was used as a paupers grave yard. When they were buried this area was right at the edge of the city, but as time went on it was deep in the city proper!

They had to relocate about 60 people to a real cemetery and law demands a licensed undertaker present. This was only a couple blocs from our house and I like all kids in that area used to play there. Needless to say some of these graves were very close to peoples homes and they were not happy about "what was dug up" I accompanied my father there on a couple occasions! A road improvement job that only was supposed to take a couple weeks ended up taking about 4 months and a hell of a lot more money spent.
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post: