Old 02-14-2020, 10:31am   #18
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,673 Times in 13,636 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Well, I just threw 300 bucks out the window.

The truck was doing the exact same thing this morning after replacing the alternator last night.

It was Autozone and their tester that indicated the voltage regulator was not working. This morning, when it did it again, I thought maybe something in the truck is blowing out the VR. So I did more digging and came across this nugget of knowledge...

Quote:
Voltmeter Fluctuation Condition:
Some customers may comment that the voltmeter is fluctuating between 12 and 14 volts on their full size pickup or utility vehicle. Starting with the 2005 model year, light duty full size pickups and utilities are equipped with a new Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) system. This system reduces the targeted output of the generator to 12.6-13.1 volts when in "Fuel Economy Mode" to improve fuel economy. The generator may exit "Fuel Economy Mode" if additional voltage is required. This will cause the voltmeter to fluctuate between 12 and 14 volts as opposed to non-regulated systems that usually maintain a more consistent reading of 14 volts. This fluctuation with the RVC system is normal system operation and NO repairs should be attempted.
What I believe the Autozone diagnostic tester did, was evaluate the charging condition when the truck did not have the demand required to kick it in to the 14V charge condition, and read it as a VR failure.

The alternator has had two hours of time on it, and of course, NO RETURNS on installed parts. I now have a spare.
Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote