View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44pm   #33
Cobra4B
Charter Member
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8830

Got the new timing cover installed along with the new ATI Superdamper. Its a 10% underdriven unit w/o the AC pulley. Its pinned and I used an ARP crank bolt for a good dose of overkill. Had to put the rear wheels/tires on and the back on the ground so I could torque the crank bolt etc. At first I tired torqing it in 4th gear and the car wanted to move forward off the front stands when load was applied to the driveline, but 6th gear and me standing in front of the car did the trick.

I did hit one snag... I tried using my ATI pin kit drill fixture to center the timing cover per a LS1tech members recommendation. This allows you to go ahead and torque the timing cover down then install the balancer whenever you want to. This is more akin to the GM manual method where they have a special tool to hold the timing cover centered, then they install the front main w/ another special tool. The shadetree mechanic (i.e. LS1howto.com) method is to leave the timing cover loose when installing the balancer so it self-centers, then torque the cover bolts to spec.

Well the method of using the ATI drilling fixture worked great... problem was that when I removed it I couldnt get the pin in the hole as it was 1/2 blocked by the timing cover and front main! So I boogered up the front main trying to pull it out w/ the timing cover on the car and stopped and removed the timing cover... luckily I had a spare front main seal... cleaned it all up and re-did it all the LS1howto.com way that I have always used in the past.

Oh... and Im not sure if those hex head screws on the balancer will clear the steering rack... may have to call ATI tomorrow. My Superdamper on the yellow car didnt have them.

17x9.5s on the rear (stock Z06 front wheels) w/ 275/40s on the ground for the first time.... they look pretty flush. I wasnt sure if Id want to run a spacer or not. Well see when I get the suspension all setup.

Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote