View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 11:58pm   #461
TripleBlack
Barn Raising I
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 2,060 Times in 876 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $308343

This is Messier object 101, often called the Pinwheel Galaxy. It's in the Ursa Major Constellation (think Big Dipper), about 21 million light years away, and about 85,000 light years across with a trillion or so stars.

If this looks familiar...

I posted my previous effort shooting M101 a few posts above. For some time I've been taking my astro photos with a DSLR and while I've been pretty pleased with some of the results, I wanted to up my game. I ordered a new monochrome camera. Sound like a step back but all the cool astrophotography nerds use them. I spare the explanations but bottom line is I'm able to get better results than with a DSLR for several reasons. Message me if you want to know more about how it all works. This was the first shooting session with the new gear.

This image only has about 90 minutes of exposure time compared to 3.5 hours for the one from last month above. You probably won't notice a difference on your phone but it's significant on a decent monitor. I hope to get another session to shoot this one. 3 or 4 hours more and I should have a very decent image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	M101 LRGB v1 16x9 crop.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	894.7 KB
ID:	26041
TripleBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TripleBlack For This Useful Post: