Thread: Rear end
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 1:11am   #14
oahuyahoo
Barn Stall Owner #67
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $100888958

I'm inclined but man have you got me lost on this. I see I have a project cut out or me. Goodbye Saturday and what looks like Sunday. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra4B View Post
One more bit of advice... Timken is the OEM supplier to GM. You can get Timken brand hub/bearings at Autozone for under $200 a corner... I think fronts are $180ish and rears are $135ish, but I havent purchased any in a couple of years. OEM list is near $400 a corner. On these cars the bearings arent servicable, the hub/bearing comes as one assembly complete with a new wheel speed sensor... this is why they cost so much.

The swap isnt very hard if youre mechanically inclined... hardest part is seperating the lower balljoint to get to the bottom of the 3 bolts that hold the hub/bearing in place. Get a balljoint seperator tool and dont use a traditional picklefork. The picklefork is prone to destroying the balljoint dustboots if youre not very careful. The joint seperator is designed to get them apart w/o damage... the picklefork is technically designed for seperation w/o regard for the joint when your planning on replacin them anyway. Sometimes you can get lucky and put a piece of wood on the endge of the bottom A-arm and whack it with a hammer, but thats only worked on one car for me.

Oh.... my apostrophe key doesnt work... hence the lack of them.
oahuyahoo is offline   Reply With Quote