Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 46.0%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,186 Times in 4,360 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236
Default Retiring - Looking for Useful Money Management Advice

I know, a big ask for the majority of you f'ers

So I decided to pull the plug about two years before plan. Just don't enjoy going to work any more for a bunch of reasons, and have the ability to walk away.

I am one of those freaks that still has a defined benefit retirement plan. We could live on it, but at a much different lifestyle than we do now. We also have a home that we're pretty far positive on as far as mortgage. We also have saved via corporate plans for the majority of our careers.

We have a large chunk in a 2025 fund.
We have a large chunk in large cap's - Contrafund has been good to us.
We have a medium chunk in Bonds/Money

I am not going to spend more than about 10 minutes a week on managing funds; I'm a set and forget kind of investor. My current inclination is to leave things as they are, but I do worry about the large chunk in Contrafund even though I see that as a minimum 5-10 year need that we could ride out if necessary.

I'm also willing to get "real" advice, but I'm skeptical of advice after some of the biased, fee-based "advice" I've received in the past. Recommendations on sound, objective sources is appreciated.

Please don't recommend annuity anywhere in your post, as I don't want the thread to get locked

Yeah, I know, first world problems. But they're real I tell you, they're real!
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post: