Old 12-08-2017, 1:55pm   #37
OddBall
A Real Barner
Activity: 36.0%

Thanked 10,517 Times in 5,423 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29466197

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterTraffic View Post
I read an article earlier this week discussing the ramifications of all the sexual harassment accusations in the investment community and the "Mike Pence rule." The author commented that men in positions of power are pulling up the drawbridge and avoiding meetings or social situations where they would be alone with a female.

From a CNN article...

Companies now face a moment of decision: take a step backwards or take a step forward. The solution to harassment in the workplace is not a return to the Mad Men era, excluding women from business meetings, cocktails with clients and networking opportunities. That would be both fundamentally inconsistent with the law and bad for business.

Not only is the "Pence rule" incompatible with the laws requiring that women be afforded equal opportunity in the workplace, but it is also a missed opportunity to embrace the moment and to foster and promote women's voices in the workplace. When companies are appropriately responsive to sexual harassment, everyone benefits.

It's not depriving women of all network opportunities and business meetings. It's avoiding situations where it conceivably becomes a "he said/she said" situation. I highly doubt that most men would do this specifically to deprive women of opportunity. Rather, it's a risk calculation that takes into account a woman can come forward with accusations from a decade ago and the man is guilty until proven innocent. Good luck with proving that, by the way, since so much of what occurs does so behind closed doors (literally and figuratively).

The torches-and-pitchfork crowd runs from one high-profile name to the next and you can't help but get the sense that due process has fallen by the wayside.

Exactly, and the real victims as well. It does still happen. I've seen it happen. And I've seen false accusations happen as well. It's at the point where a keychain camera or lapel camera is a good idea.
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote