Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 8,649 Times in 2,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
Having a house built, there are a few things that I wish I'd done different. This is by no means a comprehensive list.
Like he asked us for any of this (but what the hell...it's what we do! )

Let me add a few things if I may. You might want to ask around at a few A/C heating companies near your place as to what system THEY recommend. Of all people, they will know what's reliable and well built and what isn't. I have a Lennox system that was in my house, and within 5 years the evaporator coil crapped out ($2300 repair, thankyouverymuch ). Make sure that if you install a 5 ton unit, for example, that you are actually moving 5 tons of air. I have a 5 ton but was only recirculating 3.5 tons of air. Why? Not enough air returns. This meant installing returns in all the bedrooms - and presto! 5 tons of air and a balanced system throughout the house.

Don't skimp on electrical outlets too. I had quad boxes installed in my office and had the circuits all upgraded so they could handle it. You can never have too many plugs.

Windows: I can stand next to the windows on a cold day and feel the difference in temperature. From what I've read, argon-filled windows really don't get you as much as low-e glass and it's very expensive. If this is a long-term house, something to think about.

With regard to paint, Cyber is absolutely correct...BUT...be aware that companies like PPG, Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc. also carry lines of "contractor grade" paint. I learned this the hard way. I had the interior of my last house painted and I specified Sherwin-Williams paint, but I found out later that I should have also specified the grade. Now, contractor grade SW paint is probably better than most, but if you're spending money on a premium brand, you might as well get what you pay for.

Of course, this is a question of affordability, but one thing's for sure: I'd try to stay away from "contractor-grade" anything. When I remodel the interior of my place, this is a point I'll make crystal clear.

Hope you don't mind the input. Best of luck with Casa Mullett!
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote