Old 05-30-2023, 6:29am   #4
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,454 Times in 10,613 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptlo306 View Post
If so, I could use some help. I've got a couple of questions for a possible concrete driveway option. Driveway will be approximately 125 feet long.

1. What is the typical thickness for a residential driveway? 4" but keep in mind, if 2x4's are used as forms, you will only get 3 1/2"

I've been quoted 4" and that seems to match what I've read online, but it also says that 4" is the minimum thickness. Would it be worthwhile to go thicker? Yes if it fits your budget.

2. Is rebar necessary? No
One quote includes rebar and one doesn't. The one with rebar also mentions concrete with fiber. Fiber is not necessary. Most cracking is due to expansion/contraction. This is best mitigated with good expansion control with cut or tooled joints. Key-way is even better IMO

3. Is it normal for concrete to be poured directly on dirt Yes, compacted

or should there be a gravel base?Wont hurt but not necessary unless you are in a freeze/thaw environment

4. Lastly, would an asphalt driveway be a lot cheaper?Maybe/maybe not. Small asphalt jobs are not cheap

Thanks in advance!!
It really all comes down to your budget. Have plenty of cash to throw at it...your driveway can be built as a structural slab. Most are not.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post: