Old 08-10-2020, 10:22pm   #15
sublime1996525
A Real Barner
Activity: 16.5%

Thanked 6,634 Times in 2,969 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1008643

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
This does lead to a valid question, can an aircraft carrier by itself successfully defend from a swarm of small speedboats? I'm assuming any deck guns wouldn't be able to angle down enough to shoot in the water nearby. And we all saw from the USS Cole attack how problematic a small suicide boat can be.

What if the Houthis, Iran's proxy terrorists, launched a swarm speedboat attack on one of our carriers? The Strait is pretty narrow in the area, I'm assuming the support ships of the task force wouldn't be able to surround and "protect the quarterback" the way they would in open water.

I'm not too troubled by this, because I'm pretty sure Iran knows that, while Trump does not want war, and will generally not take their bait, like our uber expensive drone being shot down, if they actually attacked our naval vessels, it would be an automatic fire and fury response.
I was never on a carrier but I did spend some time on an LHD, it’s like a carriers little brother. It was lined with 25mm Bushmaster chainguns, .50 cal and MK19’s. They all aim down.
sublime1996525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sublime1996525 For This Useful Post: