Old 08-23-2014, 1:26am   #19
RED-85-Z51
The Hooptie Whisperer
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,753 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1975165

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4fun View Post
My Cub Cadet LTX1050KW is on it's fourth year and has served me fine. It has a Hydro-Gear transmission with a Kawasaki V-twin engine that was made in the U.S.(carburetor is Chinese though) All three deck spindles have grease fittings. Even the deck wheels have grease fittings.

The deck is pretty thick if you ask me. No it's not commercial mower thick, but it's still pretty heavy.

You can buy parts directly from Cub Cadet or MTD. They also provide exploded parts diagrams with part numbers so that you can search online for that part for a cheaper price if you want. It probably won't be much cheaper from some other place after you factor in shipping though.

It sounds to me like Red gets all the cheaper MTD mowers to work on that people don't take care of and then he dismisses the whole line.

If you don't like Hydro-Gear, and you don't like Tuff-Torq, just who is left that manufacturers transaxles for residential mowers that you can buy at Home Depot, Sears or Lowe's?

Red also doesn't like the old style 31cc MTD made trimmers(Such as a Craftsman one I have), but he likes the old style Garden tractors that were designed in the same era.

I like my Cub Cadet enough that I went and won an auction on a 2003 Cub Cadet Tank commercial mower that had a locked up Kawasaki (FH721V bad upper bearing, Kawasaki changed the design in later models) in it from a school. The deck on that thing is overkill for a homeowner, but it is a commercial mower.

Oh and the bolts on both the 2010 LTX1050 and the 2003 M60 Tank are almost all cadmium plated to resist corrosion and are standard sizes. The Kawasaki engines have the only metric bolts on either mower.

Red may know how to fix mowers, but some of us get along fine with MTD made stuff and continue to buy them.
You are most definitely in the minority on this stance...

Top 234 Complaints and Reviews about Cub Cadet

Cub Cadet and MTD are easily the most complained about mowers on the market...what gets CC owners more so than say..troy Bilt, or Yard Machines is..CC people go in expecting quality, yard machines and others, go in expecting to get rooked...

Ive got a Bolens mower I was given yesterday, always babied, spotless, stored inside at all times, used to cut a tiny lot with a mobile home on it...probably has under 75 hours total run time..and the tranny is completely shot. This is..eh, the 15th or 16th one this season thus far..Toro, Troy Bilt, Yard MAchines, Bolens....all MTD.

Cub Cadet TANK Z mowers were good, not sure if CC made them or nor, of it it was outsourced....only seen 2-3 total in 11 years, people in general were unwilling to pay 0ver 8000 dollars for anything with the MTD "3 blades of grass" decal on it...Same with the LTX1000 series, and the 2500's....for nearly 3000 bucks or more....there are other brand with a much better history than MTD...

Why do you think no f*cks were given when Murray of Ohio went belly up? They had been breaking it off in peoples asses for 20 years, their equipment was marked for failure..and the failures came...they lost their asses, and went bankrupt.
RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote