Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

That's the code for the pass side check valve? (going off memory here, my entire AIR system is long gone).

Won't ever affect how the car runs. All the AIR system does is pump fresh air directly into the exhaust for a few minutes after a cold start to help heat up the cats.

The purpose of the check valves is to keep the exhaust from backflowing out the pump (and into the air filter) when the pump isn't running. But what usually happens is the exhaust carbons the valve up over time, it gets stuck, and when that happens, no air is pumped in, and the 02 sensors detect that abnormality, triggering the code.

Don't know what you've read about it, but complete manifold removal/fuel line disconnection isn't needed. After removing the airbridge, unbolt the intake manifold, lift it slightly, and slide it forward about 6". You can easily do this with the fuel line/rail all still connected.

This will allow plenty of access to get at the bolt on the rear of the head securing the AIR tube.
The tab on the tube is slotted also, so you don't have to completely remove the clamp bolt, just loosen it, the pipe will slide out.

Here's a pic of the late style (01-04) AIR tube that wraps around the rear of the engine (with the offending check valve located on right side in the pic, which is located right behind the left head on the engine):

If you have any questions now or when you get to doing it, just ask. It's not a terribly difficult job.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote