Old 08-03-2015, 6:18pm   #60
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,954 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1037769

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Not every person in the military does their fighting with a rifle. A large portion, especially the Air Force and Navy could go their entire career without ever even touching a rifle. In hindsight, once I went to intel, the only times I touched a firearm in an official manner were things that I volunteered to do.

I spent a couple of years as the lead small arms and crew-served weapons instructor on my ship (M9, M4, M14, M240, M2 Browning, etc) Somewhere near 500 people came through me and my guys (and girls) for training. I'd trust this group with my life... I'd just prefer that some of them protect my life with a computer rather than a rifle.
I was a Navy Nuke, I got to shoot about every three years; I was never going to stand armed watch. There were guys fresh out of boot camp and sub school that had nearly no training, their were some we were afraid would shoot themselves. The joke was they had to "qualify" small arms to be eligible to begin the topside watch quals. There were more senior people waiting to get off the topside watch rotation. So when they went to the range to qual or requal, once the senior guys put enough on their targets, they would start filling the target of the "boot" next to them so they could begin to qual.

I guess the moral of the story is: Not everyone needs to be handling a gun, even in the military.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig For This Useful Post: