RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 20.5%

Thanked 7,774 Times in 3,459 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
I guess, expecting someone to be honest is too much to ask..
Quote:
If a dealer accepts a trade, they will do their due diligence and inspect the car. I doubt that any dealer will take a seller by their word.
So that righteous indignation and idealistic honesty only goes 1 way. Got it. Customers lying to dealers is perfectly ok.

Quote:
Used cars are a whole different thing. ...There are different expectations when you buy from a private individual than if you buy from a business. Some small scumbag dealers are changing mileage on cars to sell them more expensive. About 15 years ago, I was looking at used cars for the wife. I checked some cars at smaller dealers and the mileage on the car seems low. Turns out that when I ran the carfax, the dealer bought the car at the auction with 250k miles and when they listed it for sale, it was listed with 95k miles. They switched out the computer from a lower mile car of the same model. Shady corner lot dealers are often not to be trusted. Mileage rollback is very common.
Expectations are quite different if you shop at a small car lot or from a private individual or a new car dealership. This still doesn't make it ok for used car lot dealers to roll back miles and hope that buyers don't run a carfax.
I wasn't talking about buying a used car. I was asking if your unicorn world of honesty went both ways. Which it does not.

While we're on the point of honesty in the car world, if someone intentionally lies to me about a trade, and it's usually pretty easy to tell if they are lying vs. just ignorant, I will absolutely do everything I can within the bounds of the law to get every dollar I can from them. I am sure as hell not giving them anything even close to a good deal. Because f**k you. "Oh, I didn't know it had a salvage title". "Oh, I didn't know the rods were about to come out the bottom". "Oh, I didn't know ..." You want respect, earn it. You want a fair negotiation, that goes both ways. Look at me being a big 'ole meanie face dealer.

As for the "small dealers" being the ones rolling back odometers, you are simply wrong (as usual). A legitimate, licensed dealer that gets caught doing it is subject to an absolutely massive amount of fines and more importantly loses their licenses. Given how easy it is to get caught, a dealer rolling back odometers would be in business for about a week. Individuals are the ones manipulating odometers, not dealers.

They really should pass some laws and make it illegal to change odometers. That would stop it for sure.

As for your story, do you have any proof of what you claim or did you just make assumptions about intent when you only had a small piece of the information? Auctions screw up a massive amount of the titles that they process... and Carfax is absolute garbage. It's simply not worth it for dealers to do what you are claiming. The reward does not come close to the risk.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote